Sunday, April 13, 2014

Going Blonde Isn't Alsways Easy

Turns out, going from dark brown to blonde hair is a process.
not a spur of the moment decision followed by instant gratification...

Here's what I was going for and the picture I used to show the hair dresser.
"Dark Ashy Blonde with some lighter highlights"
Here's some advice for you. 
If you're feeling like you should be thrifty and you also want a drastic hair change....DON'T.
When it comes to hair, you get what you pay for my friends.

Soooo I was already in 'orange deep'. I decided to give the hair dresser all the leeway she wanted to fix her mistake. She 'lifted' too much which is what caused the orange. Turns out, just because your hair is dark...doesn't mean it won't lift well. My hair just so happens to be quiet fine. Thus, it didn't take long to go from a dark brown to orange. After the bleach, and two more rounds of toner, I walked out of the salon at 10:15pm (An hour and fifteen minutes after the salon had closed) with an appointment set for the next morning to add some low lights to hopefully balance things out (free of charge of course). 
This is the color I left with.

A very Strawberry Blonde

SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC/TMI WARNING

The next morning I woke up with chemical burn. My scalp was covered in a helmet of scabs. EEEWWWW
(I'll spare you the photos on this one.)

I went into the hair salon as planned and showed them my head. 
They felt really bad and we decided to wait on the low lights until my scalp was healed.

That evening I did a coconut oil mask on my hair. I HIGHLY recommend these for everyone and especially those who have damaged their hair with dye or bleach. After a couple of these masks, my hair feels like bleach never even touched it! =D
(slight hyperbole)
Just scoop up a palm full (or two or three). 
Melt it in your hands by rubbing them together, and grease up!
Use a brush to more evenly disperse.
Throw it up in a pony and try not to lean on anything.
Leave the oil in as long as your day/evening allows 
(recommended minimum of 20 minutes)
and then wash it out in the shower 
using your regular no-poo/shampoo/conditioner routine!

The next step in my hair rehab is 'Purple Shampoo'. 
Some of you blondies might be very familiar with these products, 
but I had never heard of them!
(Thanks Nicole)
Purple shampoo is designed to combat the "brassy yellow" pigments 
often associated with going or being blonde.


Yes, it's actually purple.

Here's a photo of a couple purple shampoos later.
Slow and steady progress.
You can tell I've been wearing my hair up allot lately...
And no. Bangs won't fix it. haha

The following photos are what I'm working with for the next month or so.
After more purple shampoo and a foil, 
we decided to forgo the low lights on recommendation of the hair dresser.
DEFINITELY an improvement from the first photo.
My problem is, it doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look fantastic.
When it comes to my hair...I like fantastic.
I'll try not to look too excited and don't mind my lack of makeup. ;)



I've been told being blonde makes my eyes pop more. 
That's a bonus!


SOOOO yep. I'll go in to my favorite hair place in a couple months...as soon as I can swing the big $$ and give ya'll a short update and photo when I'm happier with it. :)

Living life and making silly mistakes.
It's good to feel human.





No comments:

Post a Comment