Thursday, June 5, 2014

Guatemala Part 5: Los Insectos y Mas

If I could travel just to see different cool fauna around the world, I WOULD!!! A focus of my MOS is Entomology and I have got to say this is my favorite section. It FLOORS me how different wild life is throughout our planet. We have so much variety I never cease to be amazed. Doesn't pay much, but it will always be a hobby and personal interest of mine. That's right. I LIKE BUGS.

Here are some cool photos I collected while in Guatemala.


SOO MANY Butterflies & Moths!!




Bad Ace looking Ant of some sort.

Our hospital mascot there at the bottom. 
His name is Icky. 
He lives in the tree outside the TMC.

Guatemalan Exterminator was just a local clean up contractor who climbed a tree like a beast and bagged this puppy up. Now ask me if he got stung...
NOT ONCE. 


Baby Praying Mantis!! 
Nothing new to my southerner folk, but for me it was quiet the find!


Here is a little tarantula our ambulance drivers found and boxed up. 
I relocated him that evening. :) 
These guys live under ground and dig some pretty intense looking holes!
SO EXCITING to see them outside Petco!

Here's a sign that was posted on the door of a porta john by the flight line.
Now ask me if I used it anyways.
YEP. Bummed I didn't get a good sighting!


Talk about CAMOUFLAGE! This guy made mine look like a joke!
Also, the FASTEST I've ever seen a spider move. 
He's practically flat and when he gets running you can hardly see him. 

I have a ton more, but these are my most interesting. :)

I'll definitely be paying more attention to the bugs and such around WA this summer. I always think to look when I travel...when in all reality there are probably a ton I've never fully appreciated in my own back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment