Thursday, June 5, 2014

Guatemala Part 6: Food & my remaining noteworthy Pics.

To wrap up my recent Guatemalan Adventure, I just want to share my remaining noteworthy pics. and rave a little about the food. :)

My favorite genre of food has always been "Mexican". (I now know this isn't politically correct as I was referring to all Central American food.) Growing up, Azteca was most often my first choice. Going in to high school, I knew the best food came out of a bus. I am not a big soda pop drinker, but when I am, I want it in a glass bottle! I like my tortillas authentic and my beans fresh pressed, and everything as preservative free as possible. So you can imagine...I was in comida heaven. (Also, eating vegan wasn't hard at all! I did have to give a few times on some dairy products out of politeness and such. But for the most part, I could live off of tortillas, rice, beans, fruits, veggies, real horchata, and fried plantains!)

This/different combinations of this, is what I ate 
every time we ordered in to the office.
Rice, Beans, fried plantains, corn tortillas, & Horchata.


GIANT PAPAYA!!!

Plantain chips. YUM.

Mangoes are my FAVORITE FRUIT!!!!


Amazing Salad. (Even though I'm not a radish fan.)
(BTW, Cucumbers are SO GOOD at room temp. 
They have allot more flavor than I thought.)

Making my own tortillas!! 
These ladies thought I was pretty funny and that my tortillas were too.
It's harder than it looks!!!


Still DELICIOUS!
(Clynn and I tried to make some the other day...
not quiet the same, but I'm determined to get it right state side!)

These were not my favorite. 
Tortillas stuffed with some kind of cheese with cabbage and hot sauce on top. 
I had like...half a bite. haha (Could be that I hadn't had cheese in two months..)

This, however, was DELISH. 
Bean, rice, and coleslaw burrito 
on a home made flour tortilla.

This traditional candy known as Conserva was gifted to me
by some of our local Medrete workers.
It is pretty amazing and if you're a coffee drinker, I hear it pairs wonderfully. Here is a video of my coworkers father showing the process involved in producing this treat. 
It's no joke and takes some serious elbow grease!

Thank you all for following me on this amazing journey! 
I hope to have inspired some to travel, serve, or/and
become more aware of this world we all share.




The awesome people I got to share most of this with. <3






Down Town Antigua, Guatemala






No comments:

Post a Comment