Friday, December 19, 2014

My Fit Pregnancy

My Top Three Tips for a fit(ter) Pregnancy.
These also apply to non-pregnant people, but I have found them especially helpful the past 31+ weeks.

I will be the first to admit that I have not had the fittest pregnancy on Instagram...or Pinterest...or in the mommy blogosphere. I LOVE baking (and taste testing) cookies/bars/breads! I am horizontal...allot. Especially now that my ribs have become prime baby real estate. I cry for stupid reasons and I definitely have not made it to the gym every day...or every other day.

However, there are some healthy habits I have stuck by religiously, of which, I believe were HUGE contributors in my steady weight gain that has aloud me to feel in control of my body...at least in the weight gain department. ;)

Rule #1: Never skip a healthy breakfast!
The best policy, is to consume a healthy breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up.


Why is this so important?
1. You slept for 7-9 hours (hopefully!). Your body is in dehydration and starvation mode. It is time to wake up that metabolism and digestive system ASAP!
2. Start your day off on the right foot by deciding to make a healthy decision first thing.

Excuses:
"I am just not a breakfast person." 
If you want to be your healthiest (or even just healthier), breakfast is not an option. YOU CAN train your body to expect and enjoy breakfast! (I know! I had to train my husband to be a breakfast eater when we married! For the first few months he'd stick up his nose. I was persistent. kept preparing breakfast and putting it in front of him. Now, three and a half years later, he's a die hard breakfast fan! :D)
"I do not have time in the morning to prepare breakfast!"
Breakfast can be prepared the night before!
See here for overnight oatmeal and here for (delicious and healthy) freezer breakfast burritos.
Also, breakfast does not have to be fancy and it doesn't have to be something different every day! If a slice of whole grain toast with Adam's PB and a small glass of orange juice is what works for you, go ahead and eat that on your way out the door for a week! Where as variety is HIGHLY recommended, skipping breakfast is worse.
And as a last resort, buy some meal bars and a case of water bottles to leave in your car and eat on your way to work! Be careful though. There are quiet the range of bars out there when it comes to picking a healthy one that's right for you.
Some of my favorites are here, here, and for a lighter option (I recommend pairing with a serving of nuts) here.

Rule #2: DRINK WATER!
There is a great chart for calculating how much water you should be drinking here. Pregnant women should be drinking even more. A good first step is to ensure you are at least drinking the recommended amount before pregnancy, and always shoot for what your midwife/ob/doctor is advising. :)

Why is this so important?
Oh, boy. There are SOOO many reasons. However, I will try to keep it short.
1. If you are not properly hydrated, your body will retain water causing puffiness, swelling, and water weight retention. By teaching your body that it does not have to save every ounce of water it gets, because it will indeed get more soon, you will begin to shed water weight which translates to inches and less snug wedding rings ladies!
2. Being well hydrated will cut down on your snacking. When you run for a snack, be sure to drink a glass of water first. Sometimes, you may realize that's all you actually wanted. If not, you just drank a glass of water leaving less room in your belly, allowing a smaller snack to be more satisfying.
3. This article is awesome and easy to understand. Water delivers the goods, takes out the trash, keeps you comfortable, takes care of your skin, and prevents puff. Couldn't have said it better myself. (Read article for a brief elaboration.)
4. Being well hydrated will help you poop! I don't know about you...but pregnancy has definitely made being "regular" a physical feat. Being backed up will easily cause you to feel heavier, more bloated, and less comfortable.

Excuses:
"I don't like the taste of water/water is so tasteless".
For these people, I have very little sympathy. GROW UP. If your child, with extremely new and delicate senses can try a piece of oddly textured and funky smelling broccoli last night, you can down a glass of water. However, I do have a few tips to help if this is you.

  • Temperature masks flavor. The colder/warmer the water, the less you'll taste.
  • Herbal tea is a great way to consume water. Find a smell/flavor you like and be educated on your herbs to make sure you are not consuming too much of a powerful one. Variety is always a good idea too.
  • DO NOT always use sugary/sweet (this includes artificial sweetener) flavored powders in your water. This will seriously mess with your palette and consuming that much artificial sweetener or sugar a day will mess with your complexion and very possibly become the source of gastro intestinal issues. Don't believe me? Do some research. 
  • Add lemon! Or lime or mint leaves and cucumber...there are many different ways to flavor your water in a natural fresh way. My only recommendation is to be mindful of your tooth enamel. :) Here is a great article on flavoring water with fruit and herbs. 
"I try, it's just so easy to forget!"
I AGREE! Solution? Become a water bottle carrying person. Hopefully, you know a few of these people or you've seen them around. CARRY A REFILLABLE WATER BOTTLE with you every where you go! If you can do it with your phone, you can do it with water! Are water bottles a little clunky and annoying? Yeah...they are. But you get used to it and I guarantee the pros will end up out weighing the cons.
I find keeping a case of disposable water bottles in my car to be a very helpful reminder as well. 

and finally,

Rule #3: Pause & Give Me 10.
My husband thinks this rule is absolutely crazy and he makes fun of me for it often. Let me explain...
I don't always make it to the gym or set aside a specific 20 or 30 minutes a day for exercise. I do, however, exercise every day. Randomly, throughout the day, I'll just drop and do ten push ups. Stop in the middle of the hallway and do ten squats. Pause on my way up the stairs and pump out 15 incline push ups. Do 10 walking lunges on my way down the hall to move along the laundry. 10 quick squats in the shower while my conditioner is setting. Plie's (you know, the ballet style squat) while brushing my teeth or rinsing. You get the idea. This has been an ongoing habit of mine for about five years now. It becomes so easy to commit to just a few little exercises at a time, if you are willing to look silly of course. ;)

Why is this so important?
Well...I wouldn't say it's so important. More like a means to an end if you are having trouble fitting scheduled exercise time into your routine, or you just want to add a little something extra to your daily work out. Also, I believe quick bursts of energy throughout the day, keeps my metabolism moving quicker, more regularly.

Excuses:
I look ridiculous.
Yeah. I get a ton of strange looks and scoffs...which frankly I find kind of sad, but have learned to shake them off. Again, a pro largely outweighing a con. I feel like this little practice should be a norm in most households/work places. Why would you look at someone funny for doing push ups or pumping out a few crunches by their desk at work? I think they should get a high five and an extra treat if they want it. :) That being said, you can go over board with this one. Try not to get obsessive.

What are some of your fit pregnancy tips?
Hoping to keep up the good work for just 9 more weeks before I have to take a break. Then, it's back to the treadmill! Hoping to train up in time for some military schools, a family trip to Vegas, and possibly a short mission to El Salvador! Also, my sister wants me at an Iron Man Competition in October 2015. Crazy lady...we'll see. haha
OBTAINABLE GOALS ARE SOOO GOOD!!!

Love,
Jaclynn Wilkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment